RUNDU – Prime Minister Saara Kuugongelwa-Amadhila has said the number of beneficiaries of the drought relief programme in the Kavango East region is much greater than expected.
The prime minister said this during the Presidential Town Hall meeting held here on Friday, where president Hage Geingob met with the residents of the region to give feedback on state issues.
A total of 2 325 households were registered to benefit from the drought relief programme, Kuugongelwa-Amadhila said.
However, it was later discovered that a total number of 23 943 households were in need of support from the programme. The ncrease in the number of households has created a challenge, the PM said.
She said although the food was delivered based on the initially identified households.
More money needed
Additional funds need to be raised by the end of August to cater for those in need, she said, adding it was important for people above the threshold to a give chance to those in need.
“It has now become very important for us to embrace the call to allow those that are most destitute to receive the food under the programme in order for us to ensure that no one dies of hunger as a result of this drought,” said Kuugongelwa-Amadhila.
The PM explained that government had previously approved a budget of over N$570 million, whereby N$400 million was sourced from internal sources, allocating an additional N$150 million from government.
She reiterated government's call for all Namibians to assist in the mitigation of the drought and its effects, saying that individuals can contribute two percent of their basic annual salaries like how others have done. - Nampa